One of the biggest reasons why people choose to sell online in Magento is the abundance of themes you can use for free. That, and the fact that Magento allows you to sell online as much as you want, enabling you to list a lot of products.
Now, there are platforms contesting that they are better and easier to use. Magento has addressed that issue by making Magento themes installation easier, and product listing faster.
Installing Magento themes
- The first step with Magento is always downloading and extracting files from the template package. You should know this one already if you were the one who installed the application in your computer.
- Learn more about How to Sell Online
- After extracting files, just go to the Template Files directory, and then open the file containing your desired Magento theme, usually named after the theme number.
- Inside that folder, you will see ‘app’, ‘js’, ‘skin’ and ‘.htaccess and robots’ files. Upload them to the Magento installation root.
- Once the folders and files are uploaded, open the Admin panel of the store and then go to System and then Design.
- Click Add Design Change in the top right corner of the next page.
- Select your newly installed theme from the Custom Design field, and then click Save to apply the changes. You can then clear the cache to see if the changes have been saved.
Adding new products in Magento
- To add new products in your Magento ecommerce site, go to the Magento Admin page, and then click Catalog, go to Manage Products, and then click Add Product.
- You will then need to select the product settings including the Attribute Set and Product Type. Click on Continue.
- This will redirect you to the page where you need to fill in product options like Name, SKU (Stock Keeping Unit), Weight, Status, Tax Class, and more. You are free to add custom attributes about your product, just click the Create New Attribute button.
- Learn more Magento
- When you are done, click Save and Continue Edit. At this point, you will have to add your price. You can also choose to add other price options like Special Price and Tier Price.
- Choose Save and Continue Edit, then add your product description to the next page. When done, click Save and Continue Edit. If you want to, you can also customize product information. You have the option to put your product as the primary one showing in the front page. Just set it as In Stock when you are at the Inventory option.
- To add images, just click the Images option under the Product Information menu.
- Click Browse Files, choose your desired image, and then upload. Then, you can label your image and choose where it appears. Finally, click Save to apply changes.
- For better shop site traffic, you can also add tags to your products. Simply write the tags you want to use in the Add Your Tag field.
- Can Magento Work On Shared Hosting?
Magento allows you to sell online and earn money without leaving your home. While it is becoming more competitive in the platform, the key is to use Magento themes to your advantage and to make sure you regularly add and update your product listings.